RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

How Did You Come To Love Dylan?
edie
Dylan Addict

Post I wonder if Mr. Mike.... Reply with quote
....saw The Other Side of the Mirror last night (PBS 11pm EST), and if so, I wonder if it changed any part of his tune? I really am sorry he is missing so much in his Dylan experience. I hope the "ship comes in" for him eventually. Murray Lerner, producer of Mirror, was interviewed in present time. He really summed up the Dylan phenomenon beautifully. I especially liked his takes on some of the songs---expanding them past Dylan and into the big picture--like Maggie's Farm and Baby Blue. One of the hosts referred to Bob as "the Master." And when he said "Bob," it was as if he were speaking of some revered big brother.

Back to Mr. Mike: What made the most impact in making me feel he's missed the boat bigtime is saying he prefers covers to Dylan. Whew. And yet he concludes the blog iin Dylanspeak. There is still hope for growth. Smile

the "addict"
Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Gumpje

Post Reply with quote
I was into early solo Lennon big-time, and his (later) parodies of Dylan sort of kept stickin' to my mind...
So I wondered what the real Dylan must be like if I even liked the parodies ?!?!
Well, as we all know, the real Dylan is not just a little beter Wink
That happened when I was 21, and I'm 29 for the moment ...

Going through all these things twice...
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GypsyDaisy

Post Reply with quote
As a young child.....was when I first met him in a bar my mother used to haunt and I danced on his feet It was soooo much fun Or Perhaps I was just dreaming they say he has a double perhaps that was it the double............ Razz

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Well...

First thing I remember is some fun I always had with my Granny when I was a little boy of five or six years of age. Usually the radio was playing the whole day and I used to hum or to sing along. Most of the music was pretty normal and gave me an idea what’s said to be „good“ singing (and playing). And then that voice appeared! Completely different...kinda broken and of course nasal... That sounded funny to me. Next I was surprised about was that harp playing, it sounded like the guy had to blow all the trumpets of Jericho by himself at a single blow. That was strange, too, and - again - funny! I quickly told my Granny to listen and we both had a laugh. From that day on I always ran to my Granny when Bob was on air, crying „It’s him again, it’s HIM again...“. And I more and more liked to listen to that funny guy with the rough sound...

That’s how it all began, I guess...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
edie
Dylan Addict

Post Jogging Memories Reply with quote
Wilbur: Your Bob story is one of the cutest stories--period. Brings me back to MY childhood when I'd listen to all the radio soaps with my Mom when home sick from school. It also reminds me of my husband yelling up the stairs to me about some particular Super Bowl ads: "The dogs are on!" They were hilarious, made so by one dog in particular voiced by Gilbert Godfried (dogs were playing cards). One remark from Dog Godfried was: "What's 'log-on'? Has it something to do with lumber-jacking?"

Love this topic!!!!!
Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 am View user's profile Send private message
LaughsLikeTheFlowers
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
I was in high school when the folk craze (Bob, PP&M, Hootenanies, etc.) was the big thing and when PP&M's "Blowin' In the Wind" was a hit. I and all of my friends had acoustic guitars and would get together to play the three or four chords we managed to teach ourselves. Bob was, as Baez said, "already a legend." I graduated from high school the same year Blonde on Blonde was released. (Yeah, I'm that old!). So I've experienced in "real time" the evolution from folk to rock and all the myriad permutations since. A very fun ride!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fur*pajamas

Post Reply with quote
Loved Dylan the first time I heard him, would have been on the radio in the 60's. Graduated high school in 64, so the time machine effect of his early stuff takes me back to high school.

As many of the girls in college, my roommate and I had guitars and tried to sing Dylan and Baez stuff. Emmy Lou Harris was at my college a year or so behind me. She obviously had a better voice than the rest of us. Little did we know she would end up singing with Dylan.

Have been on a steady diet of Dylan since the 60's so I missed most of the other stuff that came along. I do like Talking Heads.
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Archer

Post the path to dylan Reply with quote
first i heard of him was in the early 90's, i musta been 12 or 13, when my older brother would listen to cassettes of greatest hits and blonde on blonde. I had no interest back then, was too busy with metallica and nirvana and the like. Then in college one of my friends was diehard dylan which slowly rubbed off on me. For awhile I didn't like his voice, it sounded thin and didn't evoke any feelings in me. But it grew on me or should i say i grew on it. and once yer under watch out cuz u get swept away by his depth and genious.
first show was in '99 or maybe '00. he was touring with phil and friends and neither band was too impressive. Seen him bunch since then and came to realize it's a completely different show when you're up close or on the rail (godwilling). The current leg of the NET seems better than the past few years, although i haven't seen him in person for a year or 2. I thought his shows suffered greatly when larry and charlie left. But it's so great how he keeps songs evolving and changes arrangements like neckties. And what his voice lacks these days, he makes up for with phrasing.
Looking forward to the summer tour.
Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
cowboyangel

Post Reply with quote
How did I get into Dylan...man, that seems so long ago. I guess I was about 12 or 13 when it happened (I'm 35 now in case you're interested) and already an odd kid who didn't really fit in with the cliques that seem so pervasive in junior high. I mean, for years I'd been raiding my dad's vinyl collection, listening to cats like Ray Charles and Johnny Cash, plus I listened more to "oldies" rock like Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Sam Cooke, etc-also thanks to my dad. Anyway, didn't mean to digress like that but thought the background might be useful....So one day I'm trying to find something new to listen to in my dad's records and I pull out a copy of "Greatest Hits" and put it on; I think the first song I played was "Positively 4th St" and man, it hit me like a freight train. Shit, I didn't know there could be power like that in music-biting, sharp enough to cut you and I knew that this guy was sayin' something I wanted to hear. After that, I was buying any Dylan tape (remember those?) I could find...Well the years went by and I became the only Dylan fan in my high school, wrote some mediocre poetry, fell in and out of love, smoked a lot of grass, kicked around all over the southern US until I finally found myself in my old hometown. And thru all of it the constant's been Dylan. My dad's been gone six years now, and I honestly believe that Bob (and the other great music I found in his records) is one of the greatest gifts he ever gave me.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
MChantal76

Post Reply with quote
How exactly did I get turned on to Bob Dylan? I swear to God, it was purely accidental. I work the overnight shift at Walgreens and to pass the time, I would listen to my iPod and it would help to lift my mood(mainly because I HATE my job). Every few weeks, I would start to get bored with certain songs and I would delete them and upload new ones. Now, I've pretty much gone through the bulk of my CD collection and still had a lot of space left on my iPod to fill, so I started buying random songs that I just happen to like off of iTunes.

I started with songs I remembered from my childhood like "They Don't Know" by Tracey Ullman, "Genius of Love" by The Tom Tom Club, etc. You know, typical bubblegum 80's pop. All of a sudden, I started to remember this random 10 second video clip that I saw on a Dick Clark special. I knew it was a Bob Dylan video because Dick was talking about him during the clip, I just didn't know the name of the song he was singing. I remembered it after all these years because the melody was just so beautifully haunting that it managed to stay with me. I've always wanted to know the song's name, but I never cared about Bob one way or the other to really to make the effort of finding out.

Well, fast forward to eight months ago when I was just trying to fill my iPod. I decided that this would be the day to find out what that song was. I tried hard to remember what it was he sang and all I could come up with was... "birds flying by the light of the moon", or something to that effect. In the day and age of the Internet, that was definitely enough for a search. I typed the lyric and "Bob Dylan" in and voila... the song, "Jokerman" pops up! I didn't go to iTunes at first, I went to YouTube to see the whole video because that's where I first heard the song clip.

When I finally saw it, the calm that came over me was indescribable. Watching his words, hearing his music, and seeing those beautiful images was like love at first sight/listen. That first night, I had to have watched that video at least 20 times and I'm not kidding about that number. I knew of Bob for years and knew he was this very important singer/songwriter and was very well respected in his field, but this was the first time that I actually "got it" and understood why. Ever since that day, I've been collecting CDs, books, DVDs, pictures, downloads and memorabilia.

This man has truly captured my heart, my imagination and my undivided attention. I curse myself daily for not discovering his talents sooner. He has an amazing gift for putting into words what's in your heart and mind when you yourself are at a loss of how to describe it. He sings and writes with a tremendous amount of passion, soul and honesty. I would love nothing more than to meet him, even if it's just to shake his hand and say "thank you Bob for everything you do and everything you are".

Cre

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jsom

Post Reply with quote
Well...Like A Rolling Stone was all over the radio so that was a no brainer but I had a pretty cool teacher, actually he was a Christian Brother and it was a Catholic school. I remember he wrote the lyrics to Blowin' In The Wind on the blackboard and talked/sung the song to us (11 and 12 year olds) and told us it was written by someone named Bob Dylan and we should listen to this guy. He was right Smile Certainly a different lesson than getting beat over the head and effective because obviously that has stayed with me.
Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message
bdblues

Post how did you come to love bob dylan? Reply with quote
I heard bob on WLS radio in chicago in the early 60's on my small pocket radio, as i live in michigan on a good day if you twisted the antenna just right one could pick up the station. With doo-wop playing in my sister's bedroom and my parent's listening to country-western / big band, i was searching for something and bob dylan answered. every time i heard bob on the radio i would stop what ever i was doing and listen to every word he sang. I also found that through the year's as my musical taste expanded, bob dylan was at the center. I purchased as many bob dylan album's as possible over the year's (24-25) and as i don't have all of them, with the net i can find the one's i don't have. In 1995 i purchased the family farm house built in 1875. As the 5th generation at the house, i still have most all the record's from my ancestor's, from the cylinder record's, home recording's, bluegrass, country-western, big-band, doo-wop, sock-hop, gospel, and of course rock& roll. As i just turned 56 (april 23) i find myself listening to every word bob sing's. A thank you to the walrus for the great tunes and the valuble information.
Sun May 10, 2009 7:06 am View user's profile Send private message
idiotwind

Post Reply with quote
Blame Todd Haynes. The day after I saw the movie (February 2008 me thinks), I went and bought my first Dylan album. Couldn't help buying more and listening to them all the time, driving my friends crazy with my Dylanitis. Still do.

Why I love Dylan's music? Coincidentally, the answer is in the first track of the first album I bought: cuz every one of his words rings true and glows like burning coal, pouring off of every verse like it is written in my soul.

Thanks for this wonderful place, Walrus!
Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
In my Dylan story (see above) I talked about my Granny. I'm thinking of her right now (it's half past midnight here, Aug. 13th) because today would be her 111th birthday. She was such a wonderful woman..., the greatest soul I ever met. I still miss her lots. If there's someone I expect being in heaven, it's her.

Thanx for everything, Granny! Requiescat in pace!

(Thanx for adding some thoughts on my Granny by reading this. Thoughts on her keep her spirit alive...)

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tuib57

Post Reply with quote
I can't or won't remember exactly when i so blessed...perhaps when i found fm radio late 60's bosotn had wbcn ....they played him.....or thru an acoustic album....a long tyme ago that exists now in the smokerings fo my mynd...love this site ...well worth keeping my computor
Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: