RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

How Did You Come To Love Dylan?
Walrus
Site Admin

Post How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Reply with quote
So, how did YOU come to love Dylan enough that you'd want to tune into a 24/7 Dylan radio station? Give your age, location and your story!

I turn 37 in April, and live in Nova Scotia Canada and I came to love Dylan when I was in my mid/late teens, oddly enough, through my penchant for heavy-metal music.

As a child of the 80s, music was overwhelmingly dominated by folks like Madonna, Huey Lewis (plus Canadians like Corey Hart & Bryan Adams) and the like. While great fun for most folks, I was one of those brooding, thingking teenagers, and it was all just irritating fluff to me. One genre that was experiencing a renaissance during the 80s, however, was heavy metal. While Madonna was lamenting her late-virginity and Corey Hard was muttering about his sunglasses, bands like Metallica and Ozzy were singing about the things like social injustice, the horrors of addiction and such "heavier" topics. Thusly I was drawn, but it was just a stepping stone. These bands were saying something, yes, but they weren't saying enough. There just wasn't enough depth to their lyrics. It was in that context that I started giving Dylan a closer listen, when only a few years earlier I was recoiling in horror as I watched the music video for "Tight Connection to my Heart" and scratching my head about the one USA for Africa artist who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

I still love old metal (though the new stuff leaves much to be desired), and am thankful that it was providentially used to bring me to an appreciation (and eventual addiction) to Bob. What's your story?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anastasia Beaverhaus

Post Reply with quote
Well…..

It all started when Bob kidnapped me at gunpoint in Buenos Aries. Well, I thought it was gunpoint…. well at first I thought it was something else, and then I thought it was gunpoint, but turns out, it was a banana. But I didn’t find out it was a banana until later when that whole thing happened in the elevator in the barrio hotel with the monkey and that woman in the leopard-skin pill-box hat.

Anyway….

They thought at first it was a clear case of Stockholm Syndrome, I mean, come on…what else could explain such a nonsensical obsession? One day I was a normal person. Okay, one day I was a semi-normal person. Okay, one late night I was writing a post and I can make myself as normal as I wanna so…. One day I was a normal person and then: poof!: lunatic princess.

It’s not my fault.

It was only a newspaper ad that illuminated a sudden flashback in my mind. I was only looking for directions to the post office when I saw a sign on the window in black and white and faded from being left in the sun too long. But after the cops got to the laundromat and the fireman had put out the detergent vending machine fire no one really wanted to listen to reason anymore. The Doctors said it wasn’t Stockholm’s but after much proddings and questionings and examinings of various magnitudes of white coaty sorts of investivasiveness they finally said I clearly had the worst case of PTSD they had ever seen.

Pure Terrific Sixties Delusion

Yep. Heard of it? I know, it’s terrifying! I’m stuck. I got no future, I got no past. It’s always the Eve of Destruction, but never quite actual Destruction. Someone’s already thrown the glass out the bathroom window, but the manager hasn’t come to the door yet. I’m somewhere in Utopia but we all know that Utopia means “no place” in Greek so I’m on my own, without a home, like a complete unknown, with no direction home, like Donovan.

Anyway….

I’m on medication now (5 hours of Bob a day via IV), but that only really controls it. There’s no actual cure, they tell me. I’m doomed to seek out Bob and nothing but Bob all the time Bob or some old-timey sort of equivalent like TTRH or possibly a cool friend of his like Tom or Willie or Neil in a pinch (not Van though, ‘cause he’s a dick.)

And Buenos Aries? Bob must have thought it was a conspiracy after the tango at the embassy when I noticed the banana and claimed I knew the answer that was blowing in the wind. How could I have been so reckless? It would make any natural man nervous. He let me go after I convinced him I’d come by my knowledge fairly, but by that time it was too late. The monkey had the hat and the banana and Bob left me in a hotel room in the barrio with a fake passport, seven cursed hickeys that still haven’t gone away and a credit card made out of some sort of plutonium material. Even with all the shopping to distract me, I'm a goner. It could happen to any girl. I mean, it’s Bob. He’s a really good dancer, yanno.

Razz

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am View user's profile Send private message
Anastasia Beaverhaus

Post Reply with quote
oh sorry, i meant to put that in the "i can't believe this!" thread.

damn. Razz

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:22 am View user's profile Send private message
BobOutBack

Post Sensational Reply with quote
Nothing can beat that AB!!! Whatever you are on ..... I want some!
Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
@Ana
That's a pretty long story just to let us know that you're not willing to tell us your age, don't you think? Twisted Evil

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anastasia Beaverhaus

Post Reply with quote
hahaha.

i'm 40. just turned last may. not the least bit shy about it.... the alternative wasn't very attractive. Razz

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Ha! I KNEW you're young! Cool

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anastasia Beaverhaus

Post Reply with quote
Wilbur wrote:

Laughing i'm going to pretend that's true. weeeee!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Walrus
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Wilbur wrote:

Does that mean I'm a toddler?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anastasia Beaverhaus

Post Reply with quote
Walrus wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

i can't believe i'm older than you. Shocked

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Walrus wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

Not as a Walrus, I'm afraid... Sad

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
edie
Dylan Addict

Post The Newbie Dylanite Reply with quote
In Dylan's heyday, I was into my young kids, Elvis, Laugh-In, and Dylan was a name that belonged to my younger brother's generation. I barely knew he existed. I don't even know if I knew that his hits sung by others were his compositions. Over the years I'd see him on this show or that and I think he registered as some mysterious personality and nothing more. When I'm asked what made me sit down to watch his story, No Direction Home, all I can come up with is that American Masters usually has some compelling offering, and so maybe I felt compelled to look deeper into the Dylan mystique that was floating somwhere in my subconscious. I don't know how long it took me as the show went on before the tears began to flow. I was mesmerized. I could not get my head around the fact of this young, hokey kid emitting the stuff that I was seeing and hearing. I was blown away. When the whole thing ended, I ran to my local music store (One of America's largest music stores), The House of Guitars asking, "What Dylan song has the line, 'rest yourself 'neath the strength of strings'?" I was moved beyond words by THOSE words. Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat was another one that blew my mind. Maybe because I felt, what kind of guy writes about such things? Well I had found the kind who did! And so I began buying some of his stuff. And the pull was pulling more and more. And everyone I ran into had to listen to me--because I felt I had discovered a force of nature or something that no one I knew had knowledge of. Poor slobs were going to get enlightenment whether they liked it or not. And eventually someone informed me about this place. And when my brother got wind of my new-found enthusiasm that surpassed his many times over, he said: "Better late than never." (Age 65) ps. Saw Bob twice here--once at a ballpark and at a college. Elvis Costello opened for him at the college. (hope this edit doesn't register again)

Last edited by edie on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
fran

Post Reply with quote
I was 13, in 1976, when HURRICANE was playing everywhere I went.
I immediately loved a lot that song, even if I didn't understand English at all (I'm Italian), I didn't know neither Bob Dylan's name or fame (no one in my family love music, except classic music).
Internet was prehistoric and unknown by all, it was hard to discover who was singing, what was singing, but I finally got the tape Desire. My first tape!! I never wanted to buy that album in other format, I love that old tape.
Months and months to get the texts, to translate with my very poor English, just started to learn at school.
Was, is, true love! From that day I bought (or received as gift) all his albums an more (strange bootlegs or strange live), I assisted 18 concert. My first in Verona, 1984, the fist time for Bob in Italy, the first time for me to see him live!
I'll be in Denmark in a few weeks, to meet him again!
I grew with him, he's still preceding me of 21 year, showing me the road.
Always present with his music in every moment of my life, always with a good song right for each moment, happy or not, of my life. I made a group in my small town, of Dylan fans, and is great to share this!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 am View user's profile Send private message
JokerWoman

Post Reply with quote
When two very good friends betrayed me big time, and the moment i found out 'Positively 4th street' was on in the background .....

This is a great site by the way ....
Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Walrus
Site Admin

Post Bringing It All Back Home Reply with quote
Mr. Mike posted his story on his blog.
Quote:
There are certain cardinal rules in Rock & Roll that all self respecting music critics and fans agree on: Elvis is The King, The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever and Bob Dylan is the ultimate songwriter. I like each of the artists above and can appreciate why they have their standing for the most part. I grew up listening to Beatles records because my Mom is a fan, records like Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper and the White Album were all great. Elvis was still heavily featured on TV in my childhood even after he died, the crazy leg dancing and early hits like "Hound Dog" or "All Shook Up" were fun songs. But Bob Dylan? The people "in the know" insist he's the greatest thing ever. For most of my life I did not get what the big deal is about this guy. (Click here to read the rest...)

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: