RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
requests overload

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

requests overload
ballynally

Post requests overload Reply with quote
i do like to listen to the station, but there are some really bad covers by other people i cringingly have to sit through. I guess it's the setup mr walrus has chosen. It does give people the chance to plug their band. But some of these awful bob dylan imitators are taking this to a such a low level, it does interfere with my enjoyment.It does please some of the people sometimes, but certainly not most of the people i'd say.
If this is mr walrus way of giving something back to the people he's chosen the wrong format. Very hard to take all these singers who have to sing like Dylan.I'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem, and this is probably not going to go away. I just have to eat this ****, i guess.
i also think there are enough bad Dylan performances that should come first. Like the one i'm listening to now, 'brown sugar'.
Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Steve The Face
Dylanite

Post Bitter or sweet Reply with quote
In the world of different flavors, everyone must find his own taste, BN...
The 'best' isn't found yet, God sake !
Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Cony
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
Ballynally, you are free to request your favorite songs like all listeners.
And if you request a lot, you will hear a lot of your favorites.

I'm also not always happy about the music here but I remember very well the beginning of this radio station with only the official stuff.
THAT was sometimes a bit boring because like all Dylan fans I knew the official songs by heart.

Now you hear all possible material and it's often really surprising.
There are really fantastic live songs and great cover songs, but of course also stuff nobody really needs Wink!
Like Steve said everybody has his own taste.

Maybe you should use your mp3-player and turn random on...
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 am View user's profile Send private message
ballynally

Post Reply with quote
Cony wrote:
Ballynally, you are free to request your favorite songs like all listeners.
And if you request a lot, you will hear a lot of your favorites.

I'm also not always happy about the music here but I remember very well the beginning of this radio station with only the official stuff.
THAT was sometimes a bit boring because like all Dylan fans I knew the official songs by heart.

Now you hear all possible material and it's often really surprising.
There are really fantastic live songs and great cover songs, but of course also stuff nobody really needs Wink!
Like Steve said everybody has his own taste.

Maybe you should use your mp3-player and turn random on...

I AM INTERESTED IN THE DIFFERENT DYLAN TAKES, OUTTAKES, LIVE OR NOT. THAT ALL ADDS TO THE MIX.I LISTEN TO THE STATION ON MY COMPUTER. ONE MIGHT SAY ABOUT THE COVERS:NOT TO EVERYBODYS TASTE, BUT THEN, WHERE DO YOU STOP. ENGELBERT HUMPERDINK, JAMES LAST, MY NEIGHBOUR? I AM MYSELF A MUSICIAN AND DO QUITE A BIT OF DYLAN STUFF, BUT I WOULDN'T BOTHER FANS OF DYLAN WITH MY VERSIONS, EVEN THOUGH I THINK SOME PEOPLE MIGHT LIKE THAT.I AM STILL HOPING FOR A SHIFT TO A SEPERATE SECTION, BUT I SEEM TO BE IN THE MINORITY. IF MY MP3 PLAYER COULD TAKE THE INTERNET STATION AND I W B ABLE TO DESELECT THE COVERS I WOULD, BUT THAT'S THE FUTURE
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Hey ballynally!

At first: I never got to know a radio station that ALWAYS plays the songs I dig. I simply don't expect it.

Second: The sound of some bootleg songs here really damages my ears. I usually don't listen to a radio station to get an awful sound. But I completely understand that there's people out there who glory in just these tracks. So, to me it's "Hey...that's Dylanradio...people deserve to get the entire spectrum." And if I really can't stand it, I turn the sound down (or maybe off). In every case it wouldn't be a reason for me to ask for deleting this and that song or putting a special kind of versions into another area.

Third: I myself am a fan of the songs of Dylan mainly. And I like them whoever may play them. There's Bob's originals and variations on the one hand, cover versions on the other. Although I don't compare these two 'groups' (Bob is Bob and a cover is a cover, so to speak) they are two of a kind and the 'kind' is Bob's songs. Besides that I think it's a good thing to (esp.) push cover versions. It's a good way make those unfortunate and lost people listen who don't dig Bob's voice. A good way to spread the word.

Fourth: Being a part of this unbelievably cocky bunch of wannabes myself, I might have a closer look at the covers and I do like to have the 'obscure' ones (some may say 'bad') in the songpool. That's what I can enjoy in a way others can't. So keep 'em Humperdincks and Lasts (surprisingly enough, someone here who knows about versions by James Last) a-comin'. Be it just to notice the enormous gamut. Everyone doin' Bob is fine to me - I might like the result or not. Trying to express the individual feeling that makes you play this special Dylan song - I really dig that. That's why I'd like to listen to your versions, too, btw.

Fifth: I must admit, I do support my (projects', bands') musical Bobin' at the station. And yes, I like it! But it wouldn't have grown that way if the music was bad or I was an asshole, I recon, at least. And I truly hope not to penetrate the listeners or lurkers... Anyway, you can have some self-promotion the way the rules of dylanradio let you. Everybody can! You want to? You should! If you additionally want to make people ded your songs you'll need some background, some trust, some time... And at that point it might look like a 'family' thing at times. And it is. It's just not the (usual) 'We don't let anyone in!' family...it's a "Hey, come in, join the family, become a nephew for free!" family.

Sixth: More and more I feel like being a wanderer from the subject completely zoning out...hold on...no. seven will be last...

Seventh: I didn't want to sound rude or harsh (sorry, if I did). Twas just my two cents. Lots of words to simply say 'let it flow' and have fun with the station an the still huge number of songs you like to hear.

CU

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ballynally

Post Reply with quote
Wilbur wrote:
Hey ballynally!

At first: I never got to know a radio station that ALWAYS plays the songs I dig. I simply don't expect it.

Second: The sound of some bootleg songs here really damages my ears. I usually don't listen to a radio station to get an awful sound. But I completely understand that there's people out there who glory in just these tracks. So, to me it's "Hey...that's Dylanradio...people deserve to get the entire spectrum." And if I really can't stand it, I turn the sound down (or maybe off). In every case it wouldn't be a reason for me to ask for deleting this and that song or putting a special kind of versions into another area.

Third: I myself am a fan of the songs of Dylan mainly. And I like them whoever may play them. There's Bob's originals and variations on the one hand, cover versions on the other. Although I don't compare these two 'groups' (Bob is Bob and a cover is a cover, so to speak) they are two of a kind and the 'kind' is Bob's songs. Besides that I think it's a good thing to (esp.) push cover versions. It's a good way make those unfortunate and lost people listen who don't dig Bob's voice. A good way to spread the word.

Fourth: Being a part of this unbelievably cocky bunch of wannabes myself, I might have a closer look at the covers and I do like to have the 'obscure' ones (some may say 'bad') in the songpool. That's what I can enjoy in a way others can't. So keep 'em Humperdincks and Lasts (surprisingly enough, someone here who knows about versions by James Last) a-comin'. Be it just to notice the enormous gamut. Everyone doin' Bob is fine to me - I might like the result or not. Trying to express the individual feeling that makes you play this special Dylan song - I really dig that. That's why I'd like to listen to your versions, too, btw.

Fifth: I must admit, I do support my (projects', bands') musical Bobin' at the station. And yes, I like it! But it wouldn't have grown that way if the music was bad or I was an asshole, I recon, at least. And I truly hope not to penetrate the listeners or lurkers... Anyway, you can have some self-promotion the way the rules of dylanradio let you. Everybody can! You want to? You should! If you additionally want to make people ded your songs you'll need some background, some trust, some time... And at that point it might look like a 'family' thing at times. And it is. It's just not the (usual) 'We don't let anyone in!' family...it's a "Hey, come in, join the family, become a nephew for free!" family.

Sixth: More and more I feel like being a wanderer from the subject completely zoning out...hold on...no. seven will be last...

Seventh: I didn't want to sound rude or harsh (sorry, if I did). Twas just my two cents. Lots of words to simply say 'let it flow' and have fun with the station an the still huge number of songs you like to hear.

CU

I THINK I'VE TAKEN IT AS FAR AS I WANT TO GO.I SEE OTHER POINTS OF VIEW AND I'M RUNNING AGAINST THE STREAM.WELL THAT'S JUST LIFE.I THINK I CAN GO ON WITHOUT GETTING MY WAY.THESE POSTS MADE ME LOOK BELIGGERENT, WHICH I'M NOT.LAST THING, I DO NOT REALLY WANT TO BE PART OF A FAMILY. I DON'T NEED TO WALLOW IN A WARM SEA OF BOBFANS. THEY WOULD BE THE ONES SCREAMING ,,HOW DOES IT FEEL'' AT GIGS. NEVER RELATED TO THAT ANYWAY.BYE B YE
Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 am View user's profile Send private message
Restless Farewell
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
Wow Im speechless after reading all of this. All I can say Is that I can't wait to enter the next battle on DR! Peace and love to my new DR family!
Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: