RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Bob's 30th anniv

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

Bob's 30th anniv
Dylans Harmonica

Post Bob's 30th anniv Reply with quote
Hi, - this might have been discussed b4, but since I'm more than a boxer than a forum'er, I'm too new to know..
The case is: I saw a dvd from Bob's 30th anniv, and I watched Sinnead O'connor's 'singing'. I found it very odd, that behaviour of hers, but when I now just got the cd in the mailbox, I can't find her performance there (- and I'm NOT SAD OF THAT!!) - just wondered why it's out, or if it's me who've missed something. I can't say I miss that performance, only wondering about it.

What happened to her performance - War, was not a Bob Dylan song, is that why it's taken off? WTF did she do a non-Dylan-song at that Dylan-party? How couldn't she find a protest song by Bob?? To me, she's a wicked messenger.

I guess she didn't carry a lightbulb that evening..

DH

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
On 3 October 1992, O'Connor appeared on Saturday Night Live as a musical guest. She was singing an a cappella version of Bob Marley's "War", which she intended as a protest over the sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church, by changing the lyric "racism" to "child abuse."
She then presented a photo of Pope John Paul II to the camera while singing the word "evil", after which she tore the photo into pieces, said "Fight the real enemy," and threw the pieces towards the camera.

On this account she was booed at the Anniversary Concert two weeks later. Hence she was angry and decided not to sing a Dylan song but Marley's War again.

-----------

So you know about the song she chose, now. Might be the reason for not being on the album, too. But I dunno. There's more songs from the show not on the album.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
steelpulse
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
she did it because they bood her. i thought it was way cool. stand up for your rights.
Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Restless Farewell
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
Just 4 the record I was at this great comcert. When Sinead came out I was really looking forward to hear her. I was very dissapointed. She stood for the exact same things that Bob did back in his "protest" years. What a bunch of smucks! I was so blessed to be at that show. IMO Johnny Winter stole the show!
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Oh RF, you were there...lucky you...

But what does that mean: "Johnny Winter stole the show"? Can you give a short explanation?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sarajtr
Roadie

Post 30th Anniversary Reply with quote
Sinead was there and on the album DH with that War song. She has such a great singing talent, too bad she chooses to make people turn a deaf ear because she is so brash. I can understand her anger though, she has seen too much war and bloodshed especially of her own people.

Sophie B. sang at the concert, but she got left off the album, boooo to whoever made that awful choice! Shocked

Wilbur, it is a saying here when there are many performers involved and a person views one as the best at that show, to say, "They Stole The Show" I think that is what RF was saying, he preferred Johnny Winter's performance well above the rest. Smile

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Wilbur
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
Ah...I see... Thanx Sara!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Restless Farewell
Roadie

Post Stole the show Reply with quote
Hey all. Sara explained it real well. I enjoyed all the artists but I never had seen him live and when he played Hwy 61 I was blown away!
Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:48 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: