RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

How Did You Come To Love Dylan?
Sarajtr
Roadie

Post Was born and loved Bob Reply with quote
I came to Love Bob when I was very young 11 or 12 going on 25. I was a child of the 70's and have lived a long time in San Francisco. My troubled soul and the life i have lived brought me to love Bob very much for his talents and his wisdom. Still Love Bob as much or more than ever!! Just saw him in 2009 5 times on tour. He seems so juiced up in a good way and enjoyin the tour! Live and Love, Live Bob! Always Yours...Sara
Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Sarajtr
Roadie

Post Metallica and deeper meaning Reply with quote
I am new here to the TUIB forum but after reading Walrus' post on how he first got into Dylan I just had to reply. I don't know how anyone under any circumstances could get more deep in a lyric about an issue or cause or a heartfelt issue as Metallica did with their song "One". Yes, as an original crusader and 70's question authority defy the status quo "hippy" generation, I love Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and all those who stood for the solid values that mattered then and matter now. Unfortunately, the ACLU and others have seemed to be quieted by age, comfort, drugs and money. For myself, give me a righteous cause or an underdog trying to find justice and I am there just as tho it were "back in the day". I never had any love for Metallica until I looked but could not find my fellow fighters for justice or those willing to speak out for justice and peace as they were back in the day. I have to say that at that time, I found the music and truth in songs like "One" by Metallica and some others at a time when it was even more unpopular to take the stand against business as usual in America. I have grown to appreciate the voice and the very talented artists who continue to make us remember what we are being fed by our so called democratic government and what is really going on here and abroad. The times they have changed and Metallica and some others are not being sucked into underwear ads and money orientated bulls*** but rather choose to stand tall and be heard about the injustice and the big brother tactics of yesterday that we all feared and worse in our lives TODAY! President Obama just let Interpol, the International Police loose on America with total immunity from anything they do while investigati citizens our soil. No one has had such immunity here until now. This is worse than even George W. Bush's administration's late night stripping of American rights under the constitution of the United States of America. This is not the change Obama promised us, and not the change we sought but just another politician succumbing to money and power from the good old boys in Washington.

It isn't about the messenger, but rather about the message. It isn't up to Bob Dylan or Metallica or any other messenger to enlighten us as to what is right or wrong. Every single person should be responsible for at least gaining as much knowledge as possible and then using that knowledge to better humanity. We have the tools, now get off your asses and unite to accomplish the task of making the world better for all of humity. Always...Sara
Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 am View user's profile Send private message
Little wanderer

Post to love Bob Dylan. Reply with quote
I heard about Bob Dylan from my honey, it took about an half year before I was cmpletely
knocked of my feet for this amazing Master of music! Cool

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dylans Harmonica

Post How did I come to love Bob Dylan?? Reply with quote
I've been asked to post my story here, and as you can see, my story is no short-cut, because it took me a long time to see the light. Here is my story, you might as well take your time, it's kinda one novel lol..

Her it starts:
The very first time I heard TATMM, I was walking around in town, by night. All the clubs and pubs were playing loud music as I passed by. Suddenly while I passed one of the pubs, there was this great groovy tune, really rough and the singing was rough. I was going in another direction, and just passed, with that tune flowing into my ears, fading more and more out as I passed further away from that place it came from. I didn't know the name of who sung it, no lyrics only that great into. Wow. and then the years went by, about 3 years later, I'd met my hubby, and his friend played some songs on a tape cassette, and I suddenly froze. I guess you can see before you that reaction, as I heard once again that intro I had never forgotten about, and I guess that was my very first 'Bob-swoon', but still not knowing ANYTHING about who sung, and Bob Dylan "was only a grumpy artist thinking he was the king of the world" in my opinion (lol how stupid I was)

Then I thought, that at least I’d noticed the name of the song, I'd NEVER forget about that song ever again! (I didn't) - Some years go, and they're showing some rock-legends some Saturday nights on our Norwegian TV channel. This time we just popped in, surfing about what channel to watch, and there the ‘Times were a changing’ – It was Bob’s turn and they showed the story of him and his life – though, if they’d done the whole thing, I guess they’d still be running the episodes lol. That’s when I thought; MAN, no wonder he’s grumpy, no wonder he’s acting with the press the way he does, they ruined him, ‘ate’ him alive – but he was strong, they choked and he arose. How strong for such a young boy, how much guts to answer back to those silly questions! ROFLMAO, he’s so right in time, he’s meant to be , he’s a gift to us, HE HAS God on his side, he’s so unbelievable I’m so glad I didn’t oversleep too many decades, only 3!

After that TV show, my attitude towards Bob changed totally, I now saw things from his point of view, but still the years rolled on, and he was not a very big part of my life. I can blame it on the Norwegian media, for not being awakened like me, they still saw him as that grumpy artist, hating journalists – “If he hates us, we’ll hate him” – kind of way. Bob toured in Norway several times as the years went by…
After some years, and I'm almost awake, I buy the cdTraveling Wilburys, containing 2 CDs and 1 DVD. That I guess is when I notice that Bob is a part of that band, and starting to love more of the songs, playing them over and over..

In 2008 there was booked for a concert with Bob Dylan to come to play at the football stadium in my hometown Stavanger. I told my hubby this: “Hey, this old artist is coming to our town; we finally can go and see him – before it’s too late, and you know, he’s a legend. We then at least can tell everyone and our kids, that we’ve seen him, wow. He sure is a big name, so shall we go see him”?? lol That was my intentions of going to see him, no great feelings at all, just wanted to see him before too late – because he’s so old… (I disagree with myself strongly there!!) Before the show, I found some old tape cassettes my hubby bought back in the 80s as a young fan. I played the cassettes, the first one I fell for, was Jokerman, I’d found ‘Infidels’, later I found ‘Knocked out Loaded’ and ‘Highway 61 Revisited’!

May, 31st 2008
The day came up, the concert was that night, the weather couldn’t have been better, sunny and hot, about 24 degrees (C.) I was on my way home always playing music in my car, this period it was the Traveling Wilburys, and my favorite song, Tweeter And The Monkey Man, I played real loud.
I was on my way getting my daughter home from the children’s school (not the real school, but the nursery if you call it that, or Kindergarten)

My daughter is humming in the back seat, singing ‘All the way to hell….”. It is rush-hour, everyone’s driving home from work at the same time. The traffic stops in both directions, me in my car, playing (VERY) loud the TATMM, windows wide open (no African trees), so, as the traffic stands still, I suddenly – while singing out loudly with that song – I notice a black limo side by side me, facing the opposite way (we have only a 2way road in our small city) – I thought; oh, that might be Bob in that car behind the dark glasses of the car… (so, what.. lol) I know I’d reacted VERY different today if that scene would appear in my life again, but I don’t think I’ll ever experience it again, AHW, I’m so angry with myself! I drove slowly forwards, while that car disappeared in my mirrors, and fading out of my sight. That spot where I stopped is now a great memo-place for me each time I pass it. Now it seems I’ll have to get stuck with that memory, because they’re fixing the road, and ruining the whole street, ouch.
THE CONCERT/SHOW:
As I’m a bit disabled in my legs, I changed the ticket from down on the patch to a seated place. It’s because I get pushed around in large crowds, and it hurts too much being pushed, that I chose the seats. At least I returned back home safe and well, but I didn’t hear much, the sound was lousy, and I didn’t see him properly, so I wondered; ‘Can I say I’ve seen Bob Dylan, when I only saw bits of him on a screen on the patch??’ I thought ‘no’, but had no chance to get down in that crowd to take a better look.

At home, I went online to buy more stuff of Bob; I bought the box; Dylan, with 3 CDs in it, some mini posters and goodies in it. I had to have the CD version of Infidels too, and then I just waited to get them in my mailbox! (the snail mail)
Then I went on YouTube, and checked the newspaper for the review of the show, I had to find what songs we’d heard there. Then I started the awakening; surfing You Tube for all the songs, then found some more, then the mail came, and I heard lots of songs I’d forgotten, and lots of songs I thought was ‘someone else’s’. I SAID; “WOW” – And I was ‘saved, and saw the light’.

I realized quickly that it would a break down on my economy to buy all that I wanted in one, so I had some help from my son to download (sorry Bob, but I will buy them eventually, the origin CDs, I promise).

How did he have time for all the things he’s done?
How can he make so many songs out of one?
How come he has managed to do all that?
Has he the amount of lives like a cat?

I think the people of Stavanger and Norway was a lucky to have the show with him in Norway, because we’re so far away from the States, and he’s not getting any younger. I prayed he’d return, and I was thrilled when I heard in the news that Bob was returning to Norway to play in Oslo. (that was a downer, but we went by airplane and sleep over at The Oslo Plaza, hotel)

By the time from my very first show in May 2008, to next show in Oslo, March 25th, I’d learned so much, now I knew lots of lyrics and songs, and with great expectations we went to Oslo. I’d been friends on Face book with someone who’d meet us at the Two Dogs pub in Oslo. (He never turned up, but we met some people from Bergen/Norway) – the nice people from Norway were so friendly, they were the founders of the ‘Bergen Dylan Society Group’. We heard some great stories. Their favorite song , at least one of them is ‘’You Ain’t Going Nowhere’’, and I guess they felt really lucky the minute Bob played that tune!

I now look forward to the next show in Norway, when I’ll meet up with Dylanradio-boxers, Lotms, Louiise, Magneeik, Rollingthunder75 and perhaps also boxers from Denmark or even the US, Scotland, Holland and France too??

This was my story, and I’ve written lots of poetry regarding Bob, here’s my poem about his harmonica. I tried to do what Bob does: write about something that’s something else! I managed that, because hubby thought I was flirting hot with someone lol. Here’s my first Bob-poetry:

Bob’s Harmonica

You hang me around your neck gently and slow
I wait for you to in my holes to blow
Believe me I'm in tune for you
Just blow me, and play me too.
Lean towards me you'll find me there
Closer and closer until your lips are where
You blow the right tunes, and you'll see
You and I sure are a pair meant to be.
Wish your harmonica was me.
(About Dylan and his harmonica)

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
edie
Dylan Addict

Post Your Story DH Reply with quote
After that poem you're still married? Seriously, thanks for sharing.
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Sarajtr
Roadie

Post knowing Dylan Reply with quote
I was born and He was there. Bob has been in my life and in my heart and mind since way back. His understanding or misunderstanding of humanity and the way He deals with it have always, always, been an inspiration to me. I listened first to Dylan in 1968 or so. Knew I had the connection and wanted more at that age, don't we all. I have been aware in one form or another of his travels now and then. Bob is a friend of mine till the wheels fall off and burn. Always...Sara

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wildest Cat From Montana

Post Reply with quote
Like many fans, I first heard of Bob through Peter, Paul and Mary in the 60's. Later, I got hold of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" on a 45rpm single and it changed me. After that, it was a matter of collecting all his vinyl and then CD's, loving each one. Saw my first Dylan concert in Rochester, NY in the late 70's and since in 8-9 venues including Missoula, Montana! I make no apologies for his singing or anything else about him. There is no need to label him, either, except as a performer. He practices his craft, writes and performs and loves music. No other artist can claim to have hung out with so many different kinds of music. I am still waiting for him to front a big band, I guess, but I have checked off folk, rock, country, blues, jazz, scat, and klezmer. Don't recall him singing in an foreign languages (except for a few phrases), but there is still time for him to sing a conjunto love ballad. Anyway, I never get tired of him and I never stop finding new stuff in his songs. Oh, one other thing...I usually imagine Dylan singing from my point of view and it is comforting to have a voice singing out against the injustice I have experienced. When I imagine Dylan singing to me with someone else's point of view, I am even more moved. It really brings me up short. That's power.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
FuglyDave

Post How.... Reply with quote
By going to my first Bob concert, October 2009 at the Palladium in Hollywood. Helped that Johnny Depp was there as well////
Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mr.mustard

Post Bob Dylan a revolutionary..... Reply with quote
I came to like Bob Dylan a couple of years ago or so.
When one realizes the message he was sending to everyone although archaic but not outdated, one has to think that It's never to late despite existential issues dylan raised in his music very well.
He IS beyond a doubt a PROPER revolutionary.
Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:41 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mscosmiccat

Post Reply with quote
My mom & dad gave me Bob Dylan for my 20th birthday in July of 1962, along with a "Hi-Fi". I had never heard of him, and I don't know how they heard of him unless it was through my younger brother. He was probably the best gift they ever gave me. I've been a fan since that time.
Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Cony
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
cosmiccat, you have cool parents!
wish mine had been such people!
Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
mscosmiccat

Post Reply with quote
Cony wrote:

Yes, I guess they were pretty cool. But they didn't know they were cool. I guess most cool people don't know they are cool. Maybe that's what makes them cool. Cool
Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
edie
Dylan Addict

Post Reply with quote
mscosmiccat wrote:
Cony wrote:

Yes, I guess they were pretty cool. But they didn't know they were cool. I guess most cool people don't know they are cool. Maybe that's what makes them cool. Cool

I'd say you can say that againi, but......Smile
Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
ocgypsy

Post Reply with quote
6th grade, they taught us Blowin in the Wind from PPM version; didn't figure out who he was until
8th or 9th grade ---
Desolation Row sent me over the edge for keeps
First saw him in May 1976, last seen Oct 2009.
Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
dipper

Post Reply with quote
It was 1964 and I got home from school. My mum was in the kitchen and she said, "Listen to that terrible racket from that record your brother is playing." It was Freight Train Blues and I listened. I have been listening ever since.
Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: