RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

How Did You Come To Love Dylan?
rimbaud's ghost

Post Reply with quote
41 years old, Tamworth, Australia.

My elder brother had a marginal interest in Bob Dylan, around 1978-79. He had Desire and Blood On The Tracks. That was my first introduction to Bob Dylan. He also loved Neil Young. At first it was Young who grabbed me the most. Then I went from listening and reading about Neil, to checking out this other guy, Bob Dylan. I bought my first Dylan album in 1983 - Infidels. Then I started borrowing others from the library. I still remember the sheer thrill of finding a new Dylan cassette at the library and literally running home with anticipation.

Graduated from high school in 1986 and from there I started buying all the back catalog, then subscribed to The Telegraph and Look Back in 1989. Started collecting the concert tapes a few years later and here I am, twenty years later, still just as obsessed as ever.
Fri May 07, 2010 4:40 am View user's profile Send private message
Silvio

Post How I discovered Dylan Reply with quote
I stumbled upon Dylan "the wrong way," as some purists will say.

I had always heard songs like 'Rainy Day Woman' and 'Like a Rolling Stone' on the classic rock radio stations. So I bought 'Self Portrait' several years ago. Many people call it his worst album. I love it, and I always will. It introduced me to Bob Dylan. I bought 'Down in the Groove' also during this time. So I started off with all of his (and notice the quotes) "bad" albums and worked my way up. But to me Dylan doesn't have any bad albums. It's all amazing stuff to me. Dylan's "worst" would 98% of most artists' best work.

But meanwhile, since I've heard 'Self Portrait,' I have since purchased nearly every official release of Bob Dylan, as well as several bootlegs and unauthorized releases. Bob Dylan is, and probably always will be, my favorite artist. What an amazing artist he is.
Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Blind Willie
Dylanite

Post Reply with quote
Down In The Groove was also my second Dylan album (first was Greatest Hits vol. I). I also liked it from the very beggining. I was like: "cool! this guy has different voices, different sounds, different personas and he's still genuine!"

Mon May 10, 2010 4:16 am View user's profile Send private message
johnwesleyharding

Post Reply with quote
I first discover Dylan by watching "No Direction Home", it was the summer of my 2006, and I was stunned by "Like A Rolling Stone".
The next day, i bought "Highway 61" for my birthday (I was 16) and it was the beginning of a "love story".
Then, "The Freewheelin'", "Desire", "Nashville Skyline" and "Blonde On Blonde" my favorites albums.
Then, "John Wesley", "Blood on the Tracks", "New Morning", etc...

Now i've got them all, i've seen Bob in Paris in april 2007 (a great show) and i'm going to see him again the first of July in Nantes.
I need the songs of Bob everyday, and for the rest of my life.
I'm still young and thanks to Dylan, I hope i'll stay forever young !

(sorry if my english is not perfect...!)
Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:10 am View user's profile Send private message
Blind Willie
Dylanite

Post Reply with quote
Fresh blood, future looks great!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Joker

Post Dylanholic Reply with quote
Hello, my name is Kaj and I'm a Dylanholic.
I really fell for the taste in -79 when I was 15 yrs old. I used Dire Straits a lot, and one of my friends told me that Knopfler tastes a little bit like Dylan. So I had to find out more. I had tasted small amounts Dylan before that, of course, but that was the turning point. I collected every Dylan 60's drink (yes, in old vinyl bottles), Freewheelin', greatest hits, John Wesley, Nashville, New Morning... amazing albums & songs.
The two things that amazes me most in Dylan: The variety of his styles, every album tastes different. And the writing, who can come up with text like that?
It's impossible to say which album is the best, one day Infidels feels best, next day Slow train, Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the tracks...the reason must be the variety of the styles; you never get bored.
So, I'm a Dylanholic and I don't wanna be cured.
Joker
Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:21 am View user's profile Send private message
Dylan Freak

Post Dylan - He's just a song and dance man. Reply with quote
My very first introduction to the mere mention of Bob Dylan was through my Year 12 high school Literature teacher. At the end of the year, he wished us all well by giving us a poem. It was called "Forever Young". I cherished this always and still have it in my diary. He said it was a song written by Bob Dylan. No-one in the class had heard of him. He then explained that he grew up in the 60's and was to this day, a Dylan Freak. Wow! Sounded intense at the time, but I didn't think any more about it until 10 years later when I was 28 years of age. I met a man who was a child of the ‘60s himself and lived to tell the historical tales of those days of political change and social revolution.

He showed me his extensive collection of Dylan CDs, books and DVDs and then put together a cassette of his best picks of Dylan songs for me.
I remember going home and sitting in my study on a bean bag and listening to this unique collection of songs over and over and over with my eyes closed totally focused on every word being sung and every note being played. I could not stop. Each time I re-played a song I heard something new. How can this be? No other music had given me such an existential experience.

I fell in love with Bob Dylan immediately and as I heard songs like “Hurricane,” “Lay, Lady, Lay,” “Mr Tambourine Man,” “Blowing in the Wind,” and “The Times they are A-Changing” and a few others, I was transported back to my childhood in the 70’s where I remembered hearing these familiar songs on the radio but never quite knew to whom they belonged.

I actually learned “Blowing in the Wind” at primary school – it was in our song book. I knew it well.
As for “Hurricane”, I remembered how funny it was that it was such a long song which played on the radio. I remember the DJs mentioning this on many occasions when it played. Almost 3 times longer than your standard 3 minute song. Also, it had a potent drive and story line to it like no other song did in it’s day.

Needless to say, I fell in love with Dylan and fell in love with the man who introduced him to me. My relationship lasted 18 years but my relationship with Dylan lives on and is essentially eternal. I can’t envisage that my admiration of such an important and influential artist could ever end. Albeit very few, there are some things in life that actually get better.

Dylan is truly a cameleon and I can only hope to learn to adapt to life’s changing tides and find the strength to defend myself against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and hope to rise above and shine as he "The Master," has done and continues to do as "a song and dance man" and as a human being.

Cheers,
Maria aka Dylan Freak
Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Shenandoah

Post Reply with quote
Hello fellow fans. I stumbled across this wonderful website today and I have just joined up, so let me tell you a bit about how I found Bob.
I grew up head banging to Led Zep and tripping out to Pink Floyd and never paid much attention to anything else. Then I met my partner and he was shocked that I hadn't got into Dylan. Of course I had heard the iconic hits like everyone else but hadn't delved any deeper. So I was in my 40's before I found Bob. I cannot begin to express how wonderful to discover something so incredible, so late in life. It was like discovering music for the first time. Mind blowing! And now I'm an addict.
One of my favourite things to do is to go for a drive with Bob, I am lucky to live in the beautiful Valley in Nova Scotia....to see these country views accompanied by the sounds of Dylan...it's hard to imagine a better time. Except of course to see the great man in person! Very Happy

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
cardkid5

Post Reply with quote
I have loved dylan since i was around 12 I am 29 now and seen him live 3 times. I agree with everyone here the best ever. I own every video and every cd. Thank you for doing this i listen a few times a week it makes my day. I have met people all ages that get dylan
Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 am View user's profile Send private message
ballynally

Post Reply with quote
in 1975 i was 11 and 'desire' the hit album w my older brothers and friends. my english was rudimentary but i learned the words of 'hurricane', even though i didn't know what they meant. i guess i liked the frasing, the punchiness. Soon i forgot about it and turned my attention to the Beatles, of which i became a big fan. Tried to play their songs on a cheapo nylon string guitar, but the deceptively easy sounding songs turned out to be too tough to play. Then i heared 'blowing in the wind'. i borrowed the album from my brother and managed to play it, slowly, over a period of time, picking up chords from others by and by. Now i could play AND sing at the same time. Then other songs to add, using 3 and sometimes even 4 chords (oooh!). got a songbook.learned more english (i'm dutch).read more sang more played more, starting to understand more about the songs. got hooked and never got off. I'm a professional musician still, live in Ireland. His songbook is my bible and i sing hymns. i can feel the spirit, even though i'm an atheist. I play his songs, quite often, learned some new ones i play with my western swing/hawaiian/ country-folk trio 'the men who knew too much' like 'bye and bye' and 'poor boy'. The landscape is vast and varied (i'm not talking about Ireland), the river runs deep and it never bores. Although he can often irritate the hell out of me, i cannot let go of this slippery character. i wrote a song about him called 'sponge'. i have a feeling he's not going to die but simply fade away, like an old photograph. his voice has now left him.he's still there hanging by a thread.he will remain close to the other two, neil young and leonard cohen. what a wealth of material. no doubt young ones will keep discovering the big three.there's something interesting going on there.what is it? then you're hooked my friend, welcome my son. it will never leave you
Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
steelpulse
Roadie

Post i was really young Reply with quote
Dylan hit me like a ton of bricks when i was at my babysitters. she had some bob dylan 45s. it was also my child hoods friend older sister. i was probably 4 or 5 and i kept playing dylan over and over like a broken record. she even told me to listen to other records. years later she asked me you still into dylan. i said he is my favorite artist. i cant explain it but his voice calms me for whatever reason. so basically i can say i was born into dylan. hahahahahahahaah
Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:20 am View user's profile Send private message
daveyboy16

Post Reply with quote
Yeah I got into Bob in a strange way too. When i was 16 in 2003, on a family holiday i had forgotten my cd player. so was forced (if i wanted to listen to music) to use my dads. and the only cd he had was the last waltz disk 2. From that i got massively into the Band, and then bought Desire and the rest is history.

Please Vist my blog, - new post... if you could listen to only 50 dylan songs for the rest of your life...
http://iwannabewherethebandsare.blogspot.com/
Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Juliane

Post Reply with quote
I listened to Wesley Harding when I discovered the world in my teens.

I've come to know Dylan's lyrics and music long before I've come to know my children.

It's been a constant in my life.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 am View user's profile Send private message
alekod

Post Reply with quote
Hi,
I am from Bulgaria and there are not many Dylan fans in my country. But I've lived in Germany for 21 years, and there I came to love Bob. It was back in 1977, I was 15, and I was listening to The Beatles and Pink Floyd and some other stuff at that time. Then a friend of mine, Bernhard Schatz, played some Dylan songs for me. They hit me like a freight train, just by the music. My English was very poor back then but the tunes didn't come out off my mind anymore.
The next year, 1978, Dylan played for the first time in Germany. Tickets were very hard to buy, and Bernhard and I could not get tickets for the same show. He went to the first Dortmund concert, I got tickets for the second one. I was trying to learn the guitar at that time and I had a very pretty girl as a teacher, she was 3 or 4 years older and I was a little bit in love but didn't dare to show my feelings. She and her older brother had tickets for the same show and they took me with them. We drove by car to Dortmund, but I was so excited, that I forgot my ticket at home. So we had to turn around and arrived at the Westfalenhalle just 30 min. before the start.
Wow! What can I say?! The concert was great! At the next day I bought my first Dylan record - "Desire". Since then I've seen many Dylan concerts in different parts of Europe. And last June a big dream of mine came true - Dylan played in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Now I have a big collection of Dylan stuff - all the official records and a lot of bootlegs. And I will never stop listening to his music!

Aleko, Sofia, Bulgaria
Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:37 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Restless Farewell
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
M name is David Ari Alterman and I grew up on Long Island,NY. The 1st type of music I got into when I was around 14 was heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,Dokken and Ratt. When I was 16,my parents sent me to boarding school where I was exposed to bands like Hendrix,Zeppelin,Floyd and The Dead. When I was 23 I heard Love Minus Zeo/No limit and was blown away buy the lyric when he sang," My love she's like some raven,at my window with a broken wing." I was hooked. I had been playing guitar for about 5 years and made it my mission to learn as many Dylan songs I could learn. Oh boy was I ever hooked. I had my obssesion with Zappa and Hendrix,but this was a kind of different obbsession. It never went away. I have seeen Bob about 30 times in concert since the early 90's and was blessed to beatthe 30th anniversary concert. I am 40 now and I am looking to get a tribute band going to keep rocking good tunes! Keep on Bobbin everyone!
Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:04 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: