RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How Did You Come To Love Dylan? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums View previous topic
View next topic

How Did You Come To Love Dylan?
Canadian Girl

Post I'm a newbie Reply with quote
on all accounts
Newbie here
Newbie to Dylan
I heard of him but never heard him
not consciously anyway
I was send some songs
by a true Dylanite
listen to this and see what you think
Bob Dylan?
That's way before my time, I thought
Just turned 39, stopped counting though when I
was euhm.....25 or so

I listened alright but didn't
know what to think of it
until I LISTENED
Now the only thing I want
is to listen more

I'll be around
Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am View user's profile Send private message
lylanun

Post How did I come to love Dylan Reply with quote
Pretty normal really,I'm not that young so heard him many years ago, when he was somebody young men snickered knowingly about at my University. We women heard about this business of not arguing or judging and just felt inadequate. As for Idiot Wind, I'm surprised any of us opened our mouths after that. His voice was indeed so warm, but too ferocious to be loveable it seemed to me. Many years later, having seen the 30th Anniversary, I felt almost relieved that I wouldn't have to pursue his terrible attractiveness - his singing seemed awful and I thought he was shot.

Then 2 years ago, I finally let him in properly. And it was partly due to the blatant inadequacy of I'm Not There and the delightful Charlotte Gainsbourg, who seemed to me to carry the film. I could see Cate Blanchett was just not as good as the real thing, so went to Don't Look Back, was seduced, astonished and finally, not so afraid. Now, I've got masses of stuff, listen to him every day, find every kind of comfort and charm, believe in his utter unique amazingness. I've always found a lot of music becomes boring or is immediately irritating and almost thought I had no real musicality. Now I see, a lot is just not good enough, or interesting enough.

A final comment, now I'm older, I see that what seemed like a war between men and women (how 70s that is) can be resolved by greater comprehension. Bob does a wonderful job of explaining male attitudes to me, far better than most men have done. But in the end, he expresses so many human emotions, and to me, he does it clearly. I don't get so much of this talk about enigmatic, emotions move along and change, so he doesn't always say the same things. Isn't that what we all do? Anyway hi to all, this is my first post. So glad to have found Dylanradio.
Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cony
Roadie

Post Reply with quote
Nice post, lylanun, you can't express it better! That's what I am thinking about Bob Dylan, too!
Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
CompleteUnknown

Post Reply with quote
I was 14.
I listened to the radio , Like a rolling stone
I really loved that song, so I searched other songs of him ...
I began to listen his music..to inform about his life, then i knew a special person, he loved Bob dylan ... I fell in love with him. We heard even Bob Dylan's songs toghether.. now I'm 18, this month, 22 june, i'll go for the first time in a concert,with him, in Milan, Bob Dylan will be the first concert of my life.

(p.s. sorry for my english)

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Trapiello

Post Reply with quote
I was 12 when I started to playing guitar and one of my first cover was "blowin' in the wind". I loved so much that song but i couldn't understand it because I'm spanish. Nowadays, 10 years later, I re-listen Bob and I can understand much things. I play songs like "Times are a-changin'", "Mr Tambourine man", "The hurricane" but I want more, so I've just bought a C harmonica!! I was looking for tabs and info and I found this site and here I am! really pleased to meet more Dylan fans.

This was my story, thanks for reading and I'm sorry for my english!
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 am View user's profile Send private message
JodyJ

Post Reply with quote
In the 60s. I was around 9 years old. My older brother used to play the early albums late at night - every night, over and over. I'd fall asleep listening to it all. It lodged deep in my brain. Mr. Tambourine Man, The Times They Are A Changin', A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall, Blowin' in the Wind.
Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Gorille Pere

Post How I discovered Dylan Reply with quote
Way back in the mists of time when it was 1968, I was ten years old. Our teacher at school would use Friday afternoons for folk singing. I can still remember singing "Don't think twice" and "Blowing in the Wind" Too young to fully understand what the songs were all about, but there was something I couldn't put my finger on but was hooked from that moment on. To this day seeing him at Blackbush in 1978 is still one of the highlights of my life Cool
Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 am View user's profile Send private message
Eldrock

Post Reply with quote
In the late 60's and early 70's, I was getting into music, listening to and reading about. There were a lot of great tunes on the AM radio. That's all I could get, living in rural Nova Scotia, not very far from where Walrus eventually lived. I learned that some of the great songs I heard, Jimi Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower, The Byrds' Mister Tambourine Man, etc, were written by some guy named Bob Dylan. I had heard Lay Lady Lay by Bob and like it, but never heard anything else by him. No one I knew listened to Bob, so there I was. In 1973, when I finished with school, I got my first full-time job. With my first paycheck cashed, I went to the local department store and picked up Bob's Greatest Hits Vol.2. That was it! I was hooked. Two weeks later, I got Vol.1 and never stopped.

Now my 16 year-old daughter is a Dylan fan, too. Maybe not to my degree, but she still likes her bit of Bob.

Chris

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jill A

Post Reply with quote
I'm fifty years old, and was aware of Dylan for decades without really getting him. Then saw him play outdoors in a small university setting in the mid-90's, and was impressed that he was willing to play in the rain for us. Never mind that near the end he told us that the show had actually ended 20 minutes ago and he was now playing the encore Wink Enjoyed the show very much, was clear on the historical import of his music, still didn't really get him.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago, when something made me rent the Scorcese documentary from Netflix. Something started to click. I sought out one Dylan album, then another, then realized I need to listen to them in chronological order to begin to understand the development of this incredible body of music. (Currently only up to Blonde on Blonde, lots of great stuff to come). The depth and beauty of this man's work astounds me. The light has come on, and I get it now.

I hope that he has many years left with us, and that he has been able to experience, professionally and personally, even a fraction of the joy his work has brought to others.
Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
pickwickianfire

Post intro to dylan Reply with quote
My much older sister introduced me to Dylan. Drove me around in an old volkswagon blasting "it's all over now baby blue' and also introduced me to certain organic substances at the same time. I remember driving around with the sunlight on me and that music penetrating me. That same year (I was 11) she also taught me how to drive, introduced me to Joyce and Rimbaud and regaled me with stories about the 60's. I was lucky.
Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 am View user's profile Send private message
pickwickianfire

Post intro to dylan--forget year--sorry Reply with quote
it was around 1975 when sis started teaching me what good literature and good music were. We're a factory/manufacturing family with no college grads so I don't know where she got it (certainly not our awful schools) but I'm glad. I remember reading Sartre in middle school classes 'taught' by coaches. Worked odd jobs around the neighborhood to get the money for Dylan records. Washed a school bus to buy "Street Legal".
Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
pickwickianfire

Post sorry just remembered this Reply with quote
I had forgotten all this. It's so many years ago and I hadn't thought about it. So sorry. But the other person my sister introduced me to at the same time was Tom Waits. Saw him on SNL. Worked some more odd yard jobs as a kid to buy "Looking for the heart of sat night" and 'Closing Time". I was lucky enough to get to see him in concert in a little music hall on the front row. He was my other big music love and its funny to hear them together on the radio show. So that was it. Kid with no money--about 6th grade--looking for things to do for money for Dylan and Waits (records were $5.00) and struggling to read things I couldn't understand yet--carrying around little books by Rimbaud or Baudelaire.

Sad thing is I have trouble adding to that list with any modern music. I did finally started understanding those books I was carrying around.

Anyway, again sorry for the three entries. It was strange to have someone ask that because it brought back so many memories of my sister--who was so dear to me.
Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message
filipe lachever

Post Reply with quote
i been reading about your stories my friends, and dylan is realy like that the man, really grab you for life. i always love and listened to a lot of music, and bob first hold my atention in 87, i was 16, and the tv broadcasted bob & tom petty concert in australia, twice in 2 weeks in a row, 1rst time i really enjoy but only knew lrstone, 2nd time i was in the clouds, didnt get all the lyrics but love the music, after that i bought all his records in 2 years time, i was still at school and short of money, didnt bought them cronologic, 1srt was desire, lucky me, didnt knew any song, the cover was very cool and promissing, still one of my favs, some records i love them first time i heard them, others after 1 year, and some others after 5 years, nowadays i love them all, without exception. First time i saw bob live was in 93 twice, then 2 times in 99, after that, since 2004 i´ve seen him every year, bob got me to travel every year to see him, i`ve seen him 32 times in 11 countries, great memories and stories, and hoppin for more to come. i`ve another thing to share with you, in 2011 i went to florence to see bob, i was walkin at about 23.30 near the historic center and bob and his bodyguard pass by me in the empty streets, i called him bob!!?? he said back to me heyy, then i told him i love his songs, shake his hand, told him i was there for the show, he was very friendly, i wish him a goodnight and good concert, he said back thanks, see you tomorrow. Can you imagine, the guy is my hero (do you remember that concert in australia with tom petty "i`m not anibody`s hero", before the start of "in the garden") and i´m sure a lot of you guys feel the same, i felt really good, it was like a dream come true. Bob sings with the voice of the human soul, dont remenber who said that but its right on target. I`ve just found out dradio, and this is another dream come true. Only Bob Dylan could have a 24h/7days radio, and the most amazing thing is that you are always earing songs you didnt knew about. i dont care if some people think this is too much, but there´s no match to bob and never will be, no one see trought us all like he does, it´s not his words, his music, his voice, but all those things reenvented time and time again, i sure will miss him when one of us fell by the way. Thanks bob and thank you guys for dr.
Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
PurplePoet

Post Reply with quote
i enjoyed Bob's work as much as an extremely self-centered person could back in the mid-60's, got into 'recreational' drugs for about 4 years, had a Spiritual experience that led me into a 'Pentecostal' part of Christianity, and then into a Pentecostal "personality cult". i was stuck there for over 12 years before a chain of events happened that gave me the emotional strength to leave and begin a new life, in the fall of '88. i was an emotional wreck for about a year. A Jewish/Christian friend i worked with introduced me to Bob's albums "Slow Train Comin", "Saved" and "Shot of Love"... i found a comfort and a degree of encouragement in those albums like i had never know before; they were at least a solid part of what helped me to begin to find myself and begin to get my feet back under me at last. i have seen Bob in concert about a dozen times now, most recently in Fort Wayne, Indiana, near where i now live. Part of "My Hearts In The Highlands" is as close to me as anything outside of the Bible could ever be. i have been married to my best friend for 21 years now, in the last 5 years i have become a moderately successful sculptor; my life is a Dream compared to what it used to be, and i Thank G_D daily, and deeply believe He led me to Bob Dylan's work, when nothing else could touch my heart in that way.

Decatur, IN 46733
Home: 260-724-8673
Cell: 615-838-8887
curtis4888@mchsi.com
Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dobre

Post How did you com to love Bob Dylan Reply with quote
I became interested in Bob Dylan late in life at 35 or so. I think it was largely an attachment to old America and civil rights. The unfortunate thing is, it seems what is happening again is that our governments are reforming as authorities against the mass. The problem actually is molecular control and elite voyeurism. This of course is that the mass represents an elite entertainment that opposes the re-imposition of civil order. The 60s Marxist fought the educated mass to stop history from corrupting a philosophical peaceful and reasonable existence that really wasn't as perverse as a government orgy with the people for the sake genocide or extinction and a 0 economy.

yeah , I like Dylan
Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    www.DylanRadio.com Forum Index » DylanRadio.com Forums All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: